We just moved into our new home and our housewarming gift to ourselves was a Vitamix 750. We’ve seen this machine in action at our friends’ home in Tucson and loved the delicious smoothies that they created for us. I’m also looking forward to making hummus, soups, and other blended creations with the Vitamix 750.
I’d like to say that I was inspired by the hot summer weather to make this Strawberry Spearmint Coconut Cooler but, in reality, it had more to do with the limited produce in our refrigerator. In the future, there are a few things I’d do differently but, for a first try with the Vitamix, I think it turned out pretty well.
- 9.5oz bottle of chilled Taste Nirvana Coconut Water with Pulp (if you’re feeling ambitious, you can also crack open a fresh coconut – Taste Nirvana is almost as good but with a lot less work)
- a dozen fresh strawberries, plus one for garnish
- a few sprigs of fresh spearmint, plus one for garnish
- 1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup or agave (optional)
- shot of rum or tequila (optional, not included here)
Pour the coconut water with pulp into the blending pitcher. Add the rest of the ingredients listed above. Blend to your desired consistency. In retrospect, I would have blended it longer to make it smoother but it depends on personal preference. If you like some texture (from the coconut pulp and strawberries) and want to see the green flecks of mint, blend for less time. If you’d prefer a more consistent texture throughout, blend for longer. Yields about 16oz of cooler, enough for 1-2 people. Multiply as needed.
For us today, this was a breakfast beverage and did not include any alcohol. However, I could imagine serving it at a mocktail at a BBQ or as a cocktail to evening guests. If you’re feeling festive, just add a shot of rum or tequila!
Thanks to Laura and Mihai for introducing us to the Vitamix and encouraging us to get one too. I’m looking forward to using it again soon!